A Method for clarinet & Student Edition
Clarinet Express is a comprehensive method for both Students and Teachers. As the title suggests, the goal is to reach a high level of performance in a short period of time and to acquire the ability to understand and express music on the clarinet.
The Method is written in four parts:
- Part 1 Introduces the Fundamentals Routine
- Part 2 Develops Fluency (Technique)
- Part 3 Develops Understanding of Music
- Part 4 Develops Expressive Performance techniques
- Fundamentals Routine Every Day FRED
- Progress Charts to keep track of your individual progress
- Memory "Joggers"
- Complete notation of Scales, Arpeggios and the Chromatic Scale
- Practice Techniques #1, #2 and #3
What I see in Clarinet Express is a technicolor vision of the fundamentals of clarinet playing. Ken Lee invites you to make discoveries for yourself while painstakingly explaining the function of each exercise. Many of these exercises are eloquent representations of why I think he is one of the best music educators in the world. So much of what we do requires control of parts of our body we can't see; the tongue, lungs, throat, and most of all the brain. This book allows you to "see" all of this and discover the innerworkings of clarinet playing (and music) in slow-motion. The exercises which are now this book have been a daily grounding for my continued development as a clarinet player, and I don't know of anything else like it out there. Ken combines the intuition of a natural musician with a scientific attention to detail in an approach filled with wonder and curiosity.
ERIC JACOBS, Clarinetist Seattle Symphony